Emily's Photography Advice

7:37 PM

Aside from all of the amazing fashion advice that our blog has to offer I thought I might give a few helpful hints for those of you interested in taking a good photo!
When it comes to shooting people, cropping is a huge factor; you never want to crop your model at a joint, such as the elbows or the knees, because this can make your model seem elongated and disproportional.
Another important aspect to keep in mind is the focal point of the image. You can control this by deciding what you want to be centered in the frame, by manually changing the aperture and even by alternating lenses. When shooting for the blog if I feel that the location is an important part of the photograph. I use an 18-200mm lens and set my aperture to a larger number, which allows me to focus on the entire frame. On the other hand, when the location is not as key or I want to focus in on an important accessory piece I use a 50mm lens and set my aperture to a smaller number. This allows the background to blur while the focal point is very sharp.
     Aside from the more technical details, my last tip is to focus on your timing. Choosing when to shoot may seem like an obvious decision but it is extremely vital. My personal favorite time to shoot is just before the sun goes down, which is commonly referred to as “golden hour” or “magic time.” Shooting at this time of day often gives the subject a nice warm glow adding a beautiful quality to each image, but again it is all up to you and your personal style.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook